Monday, February 2, 2009

The White House

Today we started each hour by cleaning out our folders and recycling everything in them.  We then discussed the White House unit.  In the past the students have each done a report on a president and then worked in groups to create a model of the White House.  This year I have decided to change things up a bit.  

Instead of creating a White House, I am asking the students to research one of the monuments/memorials located in Washington DC.  They will then create a model of that monument and present the facts to the class. We will take some class time to research and I have found some really good websites for the kids to use.  (I'll post those later.)  We also started today by reading a couple of articles about some of the monuments.      

Depending on time I may still require the students to do the presidential report.  Since this is the first time doing monuments, it is a work in progress.  I will keep you posted of any changes along the way. 

PS - Don't forget to sign your child's syllabus.